timing, Avon calling, ACK and a Partridge Family sighting

About a month ago or so, I'd bought myself a new purse. The one I had was simply a skoosh too small for my needs and falling apart at the strap. I bought a great one on clearance for less than $10. It's a gorgeous black and animal print totally me type bag. The bag's a bit bigger than I really absolutely need , but I love it nonetheless. Unfortunately, with extra space means I tend to say "oh I got room for this too!" and the bag gets heavier which isn't good for your back or shoulders. It isn't so good for the strap on the purse either. Last week that stud there, holding the strap together, decided to pop and my purse fell. Thank GOODNESS my camera wasn't in there. The strap chose to break just after I'd removed the camera to get shots of the clouds. I was really pissed because I'd had it just long enough that I'd thrown away the receipt for it. Hubby suggested using superglue to fix it. I told him that if superglue was involved, then maybe he should fix the purse for me for, you see, superglue and I have this love/hate thingy going. It hates to stick anywhere I want it, but it LOVES to stick on me. Anyhow... hubby fixed the one strap and reinforced the other just in case. Now if I could get him to find my leopard print sunglasses that I wanted him to repair.
Is it me, or are other people beginning to feel like they're at the DMV or deli when they're at the dr's offices or labs these days? The old clinic had the "Now serving" sign for their lab too but it wasn't until we got to the new clinic that I began to feel like I was at a McDonald's. Maybe it's their choice of a doorbell to signal that the numbers have changed that make me feel like that? I sure know it's the reason why everytime I hear it I say "Avon calling". Anyhow, who are they kidding? This sign just doesn't make sense at a lab for they certainly aren't serving us anything. If anything they're TAKING something so shouldn't the sign reflect this fact? I'm just sayin. Please excuse the above photo. The lighting simply was NOT cooperating at all. It was kinda like trying to take a picture of a screen shot with your digital camera. The picture rolls somewhat and of course it doesn't turn out half as good as you'd hope.
So a couple weeks back or so, hubby comes in and wants to use one of the cameras and I ask him what was up. He said we had a possum in the backyard so I sent him off with the Samsung to get some shots. When he was done grabbing the shots (the above is one of several), he came up and handed me the camera. He told me that the possum looked sleepy at first until he moved closer at which point it looked up at him but didn't make a move. So I flicked on the camera and the above shot is one of many that he'd just clicked. I absolutely freaked and told him to haul his ass down the stairs , grab a shovel and give it a happy dispatch and Like.Right.Fkn.NOW! That ~thing~ has NO damned business in my yard...period. I kept fussing until he went down and flipped the critter over the fence. He came back upstairs and asked why he just did that and I told him...it's a RAT hunny...we don't need something like that out there. The ciggie butt in the picture was set down to give an idea of the scale. The butt's about a half inch long. Yeah. That's what I said too because I don't believe nutria wander quite this far north!


These last 2 pix are actually off two different vehicles. When I saw the stickers on the windows in each...all I could think is "God help 'em". Oh don't tell me that you wouldn't have had the same reaction! The last one was the best of the two though. Not only did they have the requisite stickperson family stretching across the back window (and most of them were people and not pets), but they'd painted their 15 passanger van ala Partridge Family style! Great to know they don't mind pokin fun at themselves... and to be hangin at a Chuck E Cheese to boot.

18 comments:

Toriz said...

LOL @ "Avon calling."

I think in most cases patients aren't as important as they should be - and used to be - and getting through paperwork, and keeping their system running smoothly is more important to them now. In my experience doctors and nurses are more concerned with getting through their lists of patients as quickly as they can than anything, and receptionists seem to think they have better things to do than figure out who's turn is next... Like catch up on recent gossip, and drink coffee.

That's my opinion anyway.


It goes back to the complaint I've had for a while... People are more concerned with making money, and having up to date gadgets - as if to show they have the money to waste if they want - than in doing their jobs properly. Not everyone admittedly. But as a general rule people are caring more about the pay check than the patients/customers. The days when neighbours helped one another out, and when doctors cared more for their patients' well beingg than their money, seem to be gone. *Sigh*

Martha said...

Glad hubby was able to fix your purse and fling the rat out of the yard - Eeeek!

What else would the sign at the lab say? Now ready to stick a giant needle into # whatever, LOL! Too bad they don't have a window where we can get a burger and fries while we have to wait.

If I had to drive that van and had that many kids you wouldn't find me at Chuck E Cheese you'd find me parked at the local bar, ROFL!

Have a great week! :-)

Jan n Jer said...

That sign in the Lab is so tacky and inpersonal. Now a days, Dr. offices n labs are in a contest as to how fast they can service patients and the quality of care has gone done hill. Such a Shame!

Melissa B. said...

Oh, I used to LOVE the Partridge Family. David Cassidy was the bomb, but I actually thought his brother Shawn was cuter. And I don't believe I've ever seen a LIVE possum...they're usually roadkill, aren't they?

Liz Mays said...

Oh the poor future spouses that have to marry into the Laskodi family...

I thought that possum was dead. Holy cow, I just noticed that long ooky tail.

That now serving light looks more like it belongs at an airport or something.

Deanna said...

I looked at that picture and thought.. that is a rat! LOL yep. Shivers.

I guess the area I live in is still small enough that I haven't encountered the stupidity you have at your clinic. We are people, not numbers. Or at least I'd like to think so.

I would never have thought to super glue that purse. They make this stuff called Gorilla Glue that is even stronger than super glue. You might want to check into it... I keep my purses on the small side for the exact reason you pointed out - the purse gets too heavy if I have the extra room. My poor aching back...

Karla said...

a man from Tennessee doesn't know a possum from a rat? *shakes my head*

If my doctors office ever got to that point I'd quit going to the doctor! However with HIPA rules these days, them coming out and calling your name is in direct violation of those rules! So maybe your doctor thinks this way noone can complain? Who knows!! It is cold and impersonal..most doctors these days don't care anyway. MOST..not all..I got my fill of those kind of doctors when I lived in Tulsa. But the doctor I have now..I wouldn't trade him for all the doctors in the world! Very few like him left!!! (and no..he's only 55 so he's not really that old!)

Glad Ranger fixed the purse, but just remember not to overload it "just because you have room now" :-) Have a great day Styxie!!!

MarmiteToasty said...

Your lucky, at our doctors not only does ones name come up it says what ya there for, so one is bugger if ya there for an anal probe LOL

love the little creature in your garden, I so wish we had them possums over here....

gotta love that van LOL...... I certainly wouldnt drive a 'people carrier' as we call them if I didnt have to LOL Im more a yellow soft top renault megane sort girl LOL

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps........ it dont really say what you need to see ya doctor for LOL

x

AliceKay said...

Glad hubby was able to fix your purse. I had a strap break one time and Terri took it over to the lady who makes tarp straps for our feed trucks and other canvas products and she put in another stud. Just like new.

I've never seen a sign like that in any doctors office or lab I've been in, but then I don't live in a city. Someone comes to the waiting area and calls out your name when they are ready to take you in. Which reminds me...I've gotta be at the hospital in a couple of weeks for another test. :\

We have plenty of possums here...live ones and road kill. Live ones love to eat the cat food we keep outside on our porch for our cat. I knew that critter wasn't a possum when I saw it. LOL (just where did he flick that rat anyway??? inquiring minds wanna know.)

The van pics were pretty cool. (loved David Cassidy)

You had me going there, MarmiteToasty. :P

THE GRAMMARPHILE said...

Wow--I feel naive saying this, but I thought rats really only hung out in cities! LOL. I've only ever seen rats in cities...when I lived in the suburbs in houses that had big backyards with woods where lots of critters liked to live, I never saw any rats when I went outside. I'm glad your hubby was able to make the rat go somewhere else.

(Even though I didn't expect the critter you were talking about to be a RAT, I knew it couldn't possibly be a possum...because the picture looked like it was taken in daylight, and possums are nocturnal!)

MarmiteToasty said...

Grammarphile, maybe the possum had insomnia :)

x

LadyStyx said...

A flash will make evening look like daylight in a picture....

Im in a bedroom community of DC. We live right behind a strip mall so it's really no surprise that we'll see one on occasion. I just don't have to LIKE seeing them...especially with a small dog that has to do her biz in the backyard.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

We just saw a Partridge family bus this weekend on 1-10! lol! It must be catching!

My husband's doc ofc has this same sign thingy going too...it's hilarious...people just ignore it anyway...

That critter is huge! I'd be flippin' it bye bye too!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ahhh! The little guy looks so CUTE!!!!

And I hate, hate, hate waiting for the pharmacy. It's a true life suck.

Wendyburd1 said...

I am glad your purse got a second chance at life!LOL!
And why did your hubby think it was a possum if it is a rat??

ChicagoLady said...

Well, since I was reading and not looking at the picture really close, I thought it was a possum too. But now that you mention it, it definitely isn't a possum. You were right, he should have buried the damn thing alive.

Only three kids and three pets, that's not NEARLY so many as the Partridge Family, lol.

$.02

Intense Guy said...

I'm Blogger #08441598926026727682 and sometimes I've felt like patient #08441598926026727682 also.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails